When I was pregnant with Alex and Emma and would tell people we're having a boy and a girl an occasional person would say, "Are they identical?" Then the same question continued after they were born. I would politely say, "No . . . they're a boy and a girl." Some people would get it then and say, "Oh yeah." Others would need a little more information . . . "they have different parts which means different DNA." A couple of times that didn't even click. Well, our waitress at Spin Cafe last night was chatting with the kids and asked Emma how old she is. Emma said, "Four" and then the waitress pointed to Alex and said, "How old is he?" I said, "They're twins--they'll be five in a couple of weeks." She looked at Emma and exclaimed, "Oh! Twins! Are you identical? Let me see . . ." She looked at Emma, then looked at Alex and said, "Yep! That is so cool! If he gets hurt, do you feel it? If she gets hurt, do you feel it?" After she walked away Emma whispered in my ear, "She is so nice!" Then Emma gave her a big hug when we left.
It was a fun night to start the holiday season and I keep smiling when I think about the waitress.


3 comments:
I'm so impressed you went again. We really need to do it. I'm still working on my husband.
What a great tradition.
And people are amazing...but Emma just saw the good place it came from and that's what I work on, too!
OK, now I'm really jealous (I want to have a pic taken sitting on Santa's lap... M says I'm too old for that, but you can never be too old for Santa, right?)
Post a Comment