Friday, July 31, 2009

First Crush

Ethan is attending an awesome summer camp and it has become clear that he has a crush on his adorable counselor, Joey. Joey is 24 and she's a First Grade teacher. The developing story:

"Joey says it's okay if we trade food with other people at lunch, as long as the other person wants to trade."

Another day I found something in Ethan's lunchbox that I hadn't packed that morning. I commented that he must have traded with someone and he said, "Yeah, Joey. She likes the pretzels you packed for me."

Yet another day while packing his lunch: "I want to pack some Dunk 'Ems because Joey likes to trade those with me. She doesn't ask anymore, she just trades what she wants when I open my lunchbox." (I could tell by his small grin that he likes this daily ritual.)

On Sunday I made brownies and asked Ethan if he'd like one in his lunch the next day. He said, "Yes but can you please pack two so I can give one to Joey?"

Then on Monday I knew for sure . . . we were talking about how many colleges there are around the world--SLCC, U of U, BYU, etc. Then my little Ute said, "I don't really care about Utah or BYU anymore, I mean who wins." "Why not?" I asked. He shrugged his shoulders, trying to act casual and said, "Well Joey went to BYU." He said he still likes the Utes and will wear his red "U" shirt so all is well.

Further evidence . . . pictures from the camp website . . . he adores her and I'm so glad. It makes my heart swell to think of the affection he feels for her and how sweet she is to him.


5 comments:

dtcmw said...

That is so darling - as long as he isn't pulled into the dark side. Go red!

Shannon said...

Hi dtcmw . . . do I know you? Your profile is private and I don't recognize your username.

dtcmw said...

Sorry...it's Teri. I didn't realize that's what my profile even came up as. It's not what I sign in with. Now you'll know for next time!

Poozoe said...

so sweet!

Haruna said...

That's so sweet! My first 'crush' became a fireman in our hometown... I remember giving him homemade chocolate on Valentines Day (I had to get up super early and wait for him with my girlfriend outside of our school until he finished his soccer practice!)