Emma wanted her picture taken next to the pretty flowers.
Our first two nights were spent with my sister's family, the Patchecks. Pictured here are Ethan (7), Mitchell (15), Baylen (11) and Alex (4). I haven't seen them for two years and Mitchell has turned into a handsome young man. His voice has changed and he shaves every other day! They are both as sweet as can be.
They also have a sister, Jessi (15) and brother, Wyatt (12) who are also great kids! My kids LOVED playing with their cousins, riding the 4-wheeler, playing with dogs and cats and drinking Kool-Aid out of big cups. My mom made a special request that I take a picture of all her grandchildren together so she can put it on her computer. What a great bunch to be proud of!
Uncle Michael is an avid hunter and has a number of his prized animals mounted on the walls. Emma was very perplexed by it. She asked him why he shot the bear and he told her he needed something to eat. She said, "Why didn't you open the refrigerator?" She would be running by the bear, stop, look up and say, "I didn't want that bear to be shot!"
On Tuesday we continued on our way for a visit to Uncle Mac (Macky Doodle) and Auntie Sharon's house. The kids were so impressed by the fact that they live ON A MOUNTAIN.
They took us on a lovely walk by this stream, perfect for cooling off hot tootsies. Or if you're a dog, perfect for lying down. That evening the kids picked fresh veggies from their AMAZING garden and Sharon spoiled us with a delicious dinner. She gets a huge brownie point because the kids ate TURNIPS and liked them! Emma sat down to eat and after sampling everything exclaimed, "Yum! There are FOUR good things to eat!" Make that five because we had root beer floats for dessert.
We can't go to Durango without a visit to Main Street. Alex is turning into the jokester of the family. Even though I didn't say to make silly faces, this is what I got. Emma was still trying to figure out if the guy was real. Ethan was ready, just in case.
On Thursday we boarded the train and headed to my aunt and uncle's resort, Tall Timber, where they completely spoiled us. David and Ethan spent the day soaring while my Aunt Judy took the rest of us exploring. She took us to all the perfect picture spots so I could photograph David and Ethan. I'll post some video clips.
David snapped this picture of Emma. She looks so grown up with all that hair.
Other favorite activities were picking wild strawberries (and learning that elk poop is bigger than deer poop), watching the trains go by and throwing rocks into the river. Smashing pennies on the railroad tracks was also exciting. I used to have a collection of flattened pennies--I wonder where they are?The cute little blondie is Keira, my cousin's daughter. I think that makes the kids second cousins, once removed.


2 comments:
wow! how fantastic...I'm so glad you had such an amazing time. Isn't it great to get home and be able to say "that was just perfect!".
What a great trip! I'm sure it will be one that the kids remember forever. It's always fun to go somewhere new and be with family.
Post a Comment