When summer began Alex and Emma wanted to try two wheelin'. It didn't go well and according to Emma, it was all my fault (pushing too hard, not pushing hard enough, letting go, not letting go . . . ). The wheels went back on. Then last week the topic came up in conversation. They both said they are ready to try it again. Then David was backing out of the garage and "bumped" Alex's bike, resulting in a broken training wheel. It was fate!
On Saturday we took the wheels off and hit the path. Emma wanted my help and Alex wanted David's help (much easier than both of them wanting my help). But I quickly found that helping Emma would be a delicate, unknown balance! She didn't want me to hold onto her but I kept putting my hand on the back of her seat. She got off her bike, made fists with her hands and said, "Mommy, when I tell you something I MEAN IT. I said I don't want your help!" She said I could give her a push, so I did and that was it!
As she rode off down the path, Alex came around the corner, with David beside him, but seeing Emma riding off crushed his confidence. I am learning how much he compares himself to her. He does it quietly so I don't always see it. Even though she had been riding for about five seconds he felt like she was waaaaay ahead of him. I wiped his tears and tried to give him a pep talk. No luck. Stupid bike. I wiped some more tears and said, "I will help you and if you keep trying, I will give you some money." The grin appeared and his eyes sparkled. It worked. With me close by he found his courage and pedaled away. Just like that!
All through this, Ethan was very observant and an awesome big brother. Sometimes I think he understands his siblings better than I do! When Emma was frustrated, he didn't say anything but when she finally got it he cheered her on. "You did it, Emma!" He gave Alex little pep talks. "When I first learned to ride my bike, the balance was hard for me." "That's great, Alex! You're doing it!" When they did it, he looked at me and smiled, a sweet knowing smile.
Oh, how I love them!
3 comments:
That is HUGE. Yea! Now you can really do some fun riding adventures..it opens up a big new world. I so get how emotional it is....we still aren't there...I am still scarred from the last attempt!!
Big day at your house! Sounds like there will be some family bike rides next spring; fun!
Yeah, that's great! What a great big brother the twins have. I've only just begun the bike saga with Cayson. Hopefully someday he will get to big the "big brother". Although I question he will be as nice.
Post a Comment