A typical morning at our house: I get up and take a shower; David gets up with the kids. I walk out to the family room and all the kids yell, "Mommy!" and run to me for a hug and then follow me around.
Day Two with Audi: I got up and took a shower; David got up with the kids and the dog. I walked out to the family room and nobody noticed. They were totally engrossed in playing with the dog! I said, "Well, this is a first." The kids glanced my way and went back to playing with the dog. Later that day I paused and felt kind of sad. Had I been replaced by the dog?
Day Ten: Emma, Audi and I are sitting on the couch. Here is our conversation:
Emma: "Mama, I like you again."
Me: "Well I'm glad to hear that because I like you too."
Emma: "Yes, I like you again."
Me: "Was there a time when you didn't like me?"
Emma: "Yes."
Me: "When was that?"
Emma: "Because I was wishing for a puppy and then we got a puppy but now I like you best."
Me (trying to interpret this conversation): "So did you like Audi better than me for a while but now you like me again?"
Emma: with a big, satisfied grin on her face - "Yes!"
So now that little poke in my heart is filled in again and I understand that the kids are learning something important about love. Just when you think your heart is so full of love it will burst, you find room for more and it doesn't change or lessen the love you already have. There's always room for more!
No comments:
Post a Comment