Monday, August 10, 2009

The Compromise

Our church is located in the valley below Kennecott Copper Mine so every week (well, almost every week) we have an impressive view of the mine. One day Alex excitedly yelled, "The compromise! The compromise! I see the compromise!" I finally realized he meant "the copper mines."

David's family is in town so we finally decided to make the trip to visit the mine. Wow! It's quite impressive! If you've never been there you should check it out. Here are a few pictures:
The road you see that winds around the mine is 500 miles in length. If stretched out you could drive from SLC to Denver.
These trucks are driven down into the mine, loaded with ore and driven back up--ALL DAY LONG. The picture doesn't do it justice but these trucks are enormous.
Here is a tire for those trucks. It weighs ten THOUSAND pounds. On the left is David's dad and he is about 6 feet tall. I don't usually get excited about trucks and dirt but this was something to see!

Pictured from left to right: Stan, Ruby, Emma, Ethan, Alex, Brandon, Lauren and David.

1 comment:

Kori said...

I love that big wheel. That got me thinking I wanted to take Cayson to see it. I live so close maybe we will have to take a field trip and do it this week